Have you ever seen such people who have all the luxuries of life but still they are not contented? If we look around we may find a plethora of people who are fighting some kind of trauma specifically a psychological one that prevents their germination in life.
A trauma literally means a vicious distressing and disturbed feeling. This particular feeling can shut down your nervous system and can lead you into several psychological and physical illnesses. Most of the times, the trauma can cause you panic attacks and can drive you into the abyss of anxiety and depression.
To our utter dismay, with all the materialistic good, riches of life and mundane goods, we cannot resolve a miserable trauma because of its psychological aspects. In the few cases, mental trauma afflicts the mind of a person so severely that he barely talks about it and adopts an isolated lifestyle.
What are the signs of a victim of trauma
People who have suffered traumatic experiences will usually seem agitated and lost. They do not react to a discussion because such people ordinarily would appear eliminated or not being there even when they articulate.
Significant evidence of a trauma sufferer is anxiety. Anxiety owing to trauma can occur in night frights, multiple tensions and annoyance; besides, lower concentration and mood fluctuations can also transpire with the anxiety. People react to trauma in various forms.
At times trauma is typically inconspicuous even to the prey’s dearest companions. That is why it is necessary to talk to your loved ones even if they hide their signs of trauma. Trauma transpires in several days and months after any bad incident.
Trauma immensely strikes the emotions of its prey. Some obvious symptoms include abrupt anger, melancholy, emotional upheavals, and severe contradictions. Most of the time, a patient of a trauma showcases these emotions in front of his family and friends and several times he conceals them.
That is why an affectee of trauma disturbs not only himself but his loved ones too. The most difficult part is that you can not help the victim as he resists you owing to his harsh attitude and his different fears. However, you can easily recognize the symptoms in your adored people, and that is the first step towards their healing.
The prey of trauma may find several physiological changes in his body. Some prominent ones are apathy, lethargy, pallidness, fatigue, weight loss, loss of appetite and palpitation. Furthermore, a victim may encounter severe panic attacks and perennial anxiety.
If anyone around you is going through such horrendous circumstances and symptoms, help them on the drop of a hat they need it. These symptoms are no less than any other relentless ailment many times it is worse than any carcinogenic disease.
Effects of a trauma
- Cognitive abilities: A long term trauma would deter your cognitive functions. An affectee of trauma may lack concentration and focus. While confronting such person, you may feel as if he is indifferent but; in reality, he is going through worst times of his life.
- Drastic weight loss: The prey of trauma would loss immense weight, due to nausea, indigestion, and a dearth of appetite.
- Less socialization: The person who is facing a trauma isolates himself and ducks any kind of confrontations with others.
- Fear and Phobias: The victim persistently lives in various fears and phobias; his mind become engrossed with irrational thoughts of horrors.
What causes a Trauma
The past events of misery, horror, distress, sorrow along with perennial failure and hopelessness in life mainly cause trauma.
- Deaths: Deaths of a family member, loved ones, close friends and pets can lead you to mental trauma. When we lose someone who is close to us we feel isolated and helpless, which reciprocally affects us and begets trauma.
- Divorce and breakups: What can be worse than a detachment after a cardinal attachment with the person you adore the most? Breakups and divorces are the major sources of trauma.
- Terrorism: Reportedly, thousands of Americans fell prey to traumas after the heinous act of 9/11. Those who have witnessed any kind of terror act are much more prone to fall under the umbrella of trauma.
- Natural disasters: Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Forest fires, and other natural hazards are the significant cause of beating a trauma. The immense fear due to the power of environmentalism we tend to develop a trauma.
- War: Evidences suggest that after the total war of World war 1 and II many in Europe developed certain mental illnesses owing to the trauma of war.
- A severe illness: After some serious illnesses, such as carcinogenic diseases, or a heart disease people often become the victim of trauma.
- Rape and sexual harassment: According to a report, people who have gone through any kind of sexual harassment often get into the vicious circle of a trauma.
Your childhood experiences can also cause trauma; have a look to see if you are a victim of childhood trauma
How To prevent and tackle a Trauma
Tackling a trauma is never an easy thing but let us assure you it is not impossible. As a human being, we are replete with significant powers and qualities through which we can prevent and resolve a trauma. Actually, trauma is nothing in front of our voracious abilities which God has endowed us.
Prevention of trauma is easier than resolving it. Whenever you go through adverse times in life, try to understand it and you must realize there is a stronger power than you, who loves you the most and does everything for your good. It is quite possible that the incidents, which we might feel sorrowful about, actually occur to strengthen us for the upcoming ventures of life.
You must stay strong and if you start feeling any of the above-mentioned symptoms immediately contact with a psychologist, a spiritual guru or a motivational speaker. You may also start doing meditation and practice gratitude to curb the menace of a trauma. You can check this beginner’s guide to meditations
Handling a Trauma
If you are feeling the already discussed signs and symptoms of trauma you must consult your psychologist on war-footings. Do not hamper yourself, talk to your loved ones; share what you feel with your family and friends, let them help you. There is nothing more powerful than sharing and bursting out your emotions.
Avoid people who ignite the flame of hopelessness and sorrow in you and make you feel fearsome. Practice mindfulness meditation and certain types of yoga to ameliorate your overall mental and physical health. Start doing any sports or any positive activity, such as swimming or gardening.
We are humans and we are stronger than rocks and sensitive than roses; therefore, we must not let negative thoughts stay inside us and should fight like a warrior and adopt a positive attitude in life, and it is certainly in our hand. It is possible to do anything in this life, as the sky is the limit for humans.